Friday 28 July 2017

Open Frame 40 - Carriage works gig

http://carriageworks.com.au/events/open-frame-room-40/

I attended this gig a month ago. Loved it.
There were 3 artists:
ALESSANDRO CORTINI 
KLARA LEWIS
SARAH DAVACHI

Klara Lewis is Swedish.

She released her debut album Ett in 2014
In that same year she also released an EP, Msuic.


Sara Davachi is Canadian.

A post shared by jono (@dj_jondent) on
I think her instrument was a ARP odyssey.
It was difficult to tell from a distance.
 
Alessandro Cortini needs no introduction.

A member of NIN and a founding member of LA-based electronic band Modwheelmood.
He also recorded as Blindoldfreak (esp. when using his Buchla 200e)
Alessandro is also the front-man for the band SONOIO and a member of the band The Mayfield Four.

The Avanti performance was beautiful and heartfelt especially with the backdrop of those old super 8 family videos shot by his grandfather of a young Cortini playing with a wheelbarrow.
I wish I could have recorded it all ... there were visits to the seaside, pictures of Venice,
a wedding. Very emotional and personal.

I received lots and lots of questions regarding what instruments Alessandro used.
I'm not really sure as I never got close to the stage. But the general consensus seems to be
that the sounds were of a EMS synthi, performed with a 4 track tape recorder.

"'AVANTI’ was written and recorded with an EMS Synthi AKS, but live I perform it with a TASCAM 4 track cassette player. It allows me to add another layer of expression to it, much different from the original creative one, while providing a certain degree of stability that the vintage machine wouldn’t be able to provide….with plenty of room for random and happy mistakes if needed."
(CyclicDefrost)

No comments:

Post a Comment