Tuesday 22 July 2014

GenoQ Nemo Sequencer repair (Power supply)

It's sad that GenoQs who manufactured the Nemo & Octopus sequencers are no longer with us.
I have owned a Octopus for a few years now and love it to death.
It's a beautiful instrument to behold and is built like a Mercedes (they both hail from Stuttgart Germany).

So when the chance to buy the more portable Nemo came up I jumped on it.

I was upset when I first tried to power it up. ....Nothing happened. :-)

After checking the PSU (5V DC @ 3A, center +ve) I decided the only thing left to do was open it up and have a look (before I gave up and sent it to my technician).

This is what I found.

The blue metal is the base.The green section is the underside of the faceplate.


The power enters via the green PCB behind the red PCB.

The problem turned out to be a faulty power socket.
 These were the problem.

So if you encounter a similar problem it would probably be worthwhile to check this first before sending it
to a technician. There is no longer any warranty to void as the company is long gone. Plus I think it's always useful to know how things work in order to do simple repairs.



There is a diode installed to prevent accidental polarity reversal though still be careful. 
No soldering required. All you need is a Philips Head Screwdriver. Red is +ve, Black is -ve.

No comments:

Post a Comment